Thursday, September 25, 2008

Something Bigger Than Ourselves

Everyone longs to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

I have said this often - probably taken credit for it a few times - but I don't know to whom the quote should be attributed. It is - however - true!

One experience I had with this concept was during a better part of the 90's. Our church began what developed in later years into a Passion Play, which we performed every year around Easter.

Our Music Pastor at the time was the passion behind our Passion Play! His drive infected us all and he was all about growth!

The little program went from a "choir" project to an all-consuming "community" project involving actors, musicians, designers, builders, technicians of all descriptions, artist, hospitality people and smiling people.
Jerry (that was our Music Pastor) pushed. Each year he would sell his vision to the choir and we would sorta' look at each other - thinking of all the reasons why we would never see it. But then when we would see his vision come into reality - and we were a part of it - we were all ignited.

I saw large groups of people, finish their daily work and show up on a regular basis to work - sometimes well into the night - just to be a part of this big happening.

Energy. Passion. Creativity.

Those are just some of the fruits that grow from being a part of something bigger than yourself.

Tonight we attended a benefit dinner for the school our children attend.
Our kids attend a private Christian school. Our reasons are a subject for another day, but I realized again tonight that this school is one of those "bigger than ourselves" things.

Usually these annual fundraising dinners feature a big name speaker. But this year, they decided to just feature the school.

Now I need to confess that I had my doubts about how the program would come off. I figured it would look like something "home-made" and that people would say - "well, it's ashamed about that little school - they couldn't even afford a speaker this year..."

I was wrong.

From the opening prayer led by a student, through a moving song by a middle school student the events held us riveted as we saw the handiwork of God on display.

A mom and a coach both shared testimonies about how God had brought healing through the relationships they had developed in that school.

A panel of students spoke freely and frankly about this whole concept of a Biblical Worldview.

It was amazing - it moved me....again. Just like every time I come in contact with anything to do with this school. It is where God is at work in our community.

Now I know there are churches, and neighborhoods, and families where God is also working - He's big, He can work in a lot of places at once. But this school is definitely one of those places and I am so grateful my children are affiliated with it. I am glad R. and I are affiliated with it!

I knew if I wrote about this tonight - I wouldn't do it justice. But I needed to say it while the passion is strong.

Sometimes, words just fail.

To be a part of this school is truly an opportunity to be a part of something bigger!
Thanks, God.

No comments: