Friday, September 5, 2008

Songs in the Night

I like music. I really think that I can find something about most every style of music that appeals to me. Okay there may be some esoteric styles that stretch beyond my abilities to appreciate... but most stuff, I like.

I sing, too. Sometimes it is just white noise to fill the empty spaces, other times it might be an unconscious defense mechanism - like whistling in the dark, sometimes I sing simply for the joy of annoying other people.

Some tunes can motivate me, others can make me smile or contemplate.

Last night as I walked away from the hospital where we had had a somewhat troubling visit with my Dad in the ICU, a song popped into my head and before long, it was coming out of my mouth...

It was our last visit of the day, and since I had returned to work that day, it was my first visit of the day. We had been happy to learn that morning that Dad was waking up after about two days under sedation.

When I saw him, I was pleased with the improvement, but he could barely speak above a whisper and his eyes were closed most of the time. A couple of times he began coughing - a weak gurgling cough. I think that was fairly normal, but it bothered me. I cringed a little as I watched Dad grimace when the nurse tried to suction his throat a little.

It just troubled me. It troubled me more than I revealed to my family.

As we parted ways in the parking lot and I walked away alone in the dark silence of my thoughts, this song seeped into my mind:

Rest in the arms
of the everlasting One,
Rest in the arms
of Jesus Christ, His Son;
When all you can do
Has al-ready been done.

Rest in the arms of God....

That seemed to be what I needed to hear.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:30-31 NIV

Jesus said -"...I will give you rest."

I enjoyed the sweetness of that song most of my drive home.

Just before you complete the "Sainthood Nomination" form with all my vital statistics, I should tell you that somewhere on Dean Street, I launched into singing the theme to "Welcome Back, Kotter".

No comments: