Monday, September 29, 2008

A Thorny Issue

Once upon a time the trees decided to elect a king. First they said to the olive tree, ‘Be our king!’ But the olive tree refused, saying, ‘Should I quit producing the olive oil that blesses both God and people, just to wave back and forth over the trees?’
“Then they said to the fig tree, ‘You be our king!’ But the fig tree also refused, saying, ‘Should I quit producing my sweet fruit just to wave back and forth over the trees?’
“Then they said to the grapevine, ‘You be our king!’ But the grapevine also refused, saying, ‘Should I quit producing the wine that cheers both God and people, just to wave back and forth over the trees?’
“Then all the trees finally turned to the thornbush and said, ‘Come, you be our king!’ And the thornbush replied to the trees, ‘If you truly want to make me your king, come and take shelter in my shade. If not, let fire come out from me and devour the cedars of Lebanon.’” Judges 9:8-15 NLT




One thing I have noticed since moving to our to our home in the woods is that thorns are a curse.
I have spent many hours cutting and pulling thorns, brambles and other vines from the trees that surround our house. Great trees have been permanently maimed by the choking of these vines and thorns. Young trees are embraced and slowly pulled downward by these parasites, until they die or their growth is forever stunted.

That's what happens when thorns are allowed to take over. They consume, they are never satisfied until they have destroyed that which they rule over ... and then they move on to another host.

Thus it is with thug dictators in third world countries.

Thus it is congress in these United States.


Why is this man (Reid) smiling? Indeed,

Why are all these people - well, gleeful?

It's because they think they have just put

one over on the American people.

Someone stood in their way.

Thank you, House Republicans and some Democrats who earlier today, saw fit to stand firm against the bill which it seems everyone from the President down, thought should be passed.

Everyone that is but a generous portion of the American people.

I think we are tired of being told the world will end tomorrow if congress doesn't get to do what it wants.

Then when the world doesn't end tomorrow, they put it off a few days - "well - it will surely end after this weekend if we don't get something passed!" they say.

All the time they are crying out - "You can't make it without us! PLEASE need us!!" -

I think we can make - and possibly quite peaceably without them.

Until this congress is ready to come clean about who is really at fault here (and it ain't Bush Tax Cuts, nor is it Wall Street), I think we should stop listening to them.

I really wanted to stop writing about this stuff, but if I don't express some of my anger toward our "leaders", I am afraid I will start yelling at my kids.

I am really offended when I hear congressional leaders (including Republicans) talking about how they are "investing" and they could even make money on the deal. Now tell me, if you had a couple hundred hard-earned dollars that you wanted to throw into the stock market, would you give it to these guys to invest?

No, but they still stand - licking their chops - ready to take $700 BILLION from you.

On the news that the bail out bill did not pass (Glory-Be!) the Dow Jones fell nearly 800 points.

Do you know what I plan to do about it tomorrow?

Well, if the Lord is willing, I plan to get up and stop by my in-law's house on my way to work for a special breakfast sandwich. I plan to do that because it's Tuesday and that's what I do.

Then I plan to go about my day, just like any other.

The Dow Jones does not determine what kind of day I will have - it doesn't decide my life for me.

I am learning to trust my life, my finances, my family, my future, my all to One who cares for me; and One who has the plan and the power to keep it all intact.

1 comment:

Chris Wood said...

Well said, sir! And amen!
Long live the free market!
chrisjwood