Wednesday, October 1, 2008

No One to the Rescue

I stared off into the horizon. . . waiting . . . hoping . . .
but the cavalry never came.

I think John Ford's 1939 movie, Stagecoach, was the first to feature this recurring phenomenon in the movies:

Everything seems hopeless, the last bullets have been spent and the bad guys are moving in for the kill.
Just then a distant bugle sounds.
And a dark force brims the horizon as the cavalry thunders on the scene...just in time.

The ancient writers had something akin to the cavalry's last moment rescue. It was called deus ex machina - it means "god from a machine". Apparently in the old stories or plays, some god would swoop down and save the day (this may be the most significant thing I learned in my Literature class at Floyd Junior College).

Tonight I had some hope - though very minute - that the "cavalry" would rush in as the Senate voted to adopt the Bail Out plan.

I knew it was not likely that someone would have a spine - after all this is the U.S. Senate where it matters not whether you win or lose (unless your a democrat) - it ONLY matters that you get along.
Apparently some changes were made... Obama's buddies with ACORN lost their payoff and organized labor may have been left out, but ultimately the price tag didn't change...$700 Billion.

It bothers me when both presidential candidates, the current president and three quarters of the Senate can ALL be in favor of the same thing.

Who is left to oppose it? ....Oh yeah, all of US - the folks that work and try to follow the rules.
Well, I guess we don't have a lot of representation up there in the Upper House of Congress.

There were a few... 25 that voted "No". Sadly 9 of them likely voted "no" because the Senate's version of this bill contained some tax cuts.

I heard a suggestion a day or so ago that shocked my senses in a way. Dave Ramsey was suggesting that first and foremost - we pray for these people in congress. And that we pray for them to overcome fear. And do you know - he was absolutely right! I have prayed about the situation but not specifically for the folks trying to do something with this problem.

So I sent the two Senators from my state yet another email and told them I was praying for them to overcome fear and to have the courage to make the stand necessary to protect the fundamental of our economy and our constitution.

I am sad to say that neither voted "no".

Dave Ramsey was offering some real good solutions, that didn't cost anywhere near the $700 Billion. My friend at Great Life... posted a very conclusive note yesterday with some great links to Ramsey's "Common Sense Fix" and other articles, find it here.

Nearly everyone that can get near a microphone seems to be saying "we have to do something!!!" but deep down in my heart, I just know that we could get through this without
congress.

I believe it would be hard medicine but I think we would get through it and be better for it.
Unless the House will pull off another last minute deus ex machina congress and this President are going to rob us of that opportunity -yet again.

This bunch has proven that they are willing to sell the soul of this nation if they can just keep their office for another term.
America is waiting... watching the horizon ... hoping for the cavalry to come, this time we are just waiting for a voice of reason and leadership to sound out above the din. Someone to articulate what most of us are thinking and then stand true to the principles that have served this country well.

Who knows, it could even be a woman's voice...

No comments: