Sunday, August 31, 2008

Restless

It may qualify as a "mid-life crisis" but since R. and I both seem to be going through it at the same time, maybe that's not an accurate term for our present collective mental-emotional states. Besides, I am probably past "mid-life" although I have always been a late-bloomer.


We seem to be going through a restless time.


Our children have definitely launched into a new era ... they've gone into what someone in my family referred to as "that silly stage". I was, unfortunately, the one going through said stage at the time that term was bandied about; and there are still questions remaining as to whether I have completely put the "silly stage" behind me.

Our kids have become ...well- like other people's kids ... just -uh - silly.


R. and I have had quite a bit of concern about our parents over the past year, with health problems and such.


And all that just contributes to a general feeling of restlessness. My Dad typified my general feelings the other night while he was waiting to get admitted to a hospital room (an episode with his heart). He had become agitated and was still experiencing some pain and said he was "just miserable!" ... he felt the need to go. Do anything just to see some progress or change!


I think restlessness is necessary for people like me that- given the option- will always choose to just stay put thank you very much! Some of us just need some extra motivation to move.


I'm pretty sure God will, at times, allow circumstances to become a little less bearable and the smooth waters to become choppy - if it means getting us from our "Point A" to His "Point B".


The neat thing is that I feel very open to change... I am ready, I think, to step away from some things and into some new paths - so long as it is God's choice and not just mine.


That's one good thing about a marriage that strives to follow God's model of being "one-flesh", it requires that the two come into agreement with God and between themselves. That provides some additional accountability and is a cushion against a foolish leap into the dark. Hopefully, R. and I will remain true to that model.


"Wild Goose Chase", the Mark Batterson book I recently read (and reviewed on this site) is about that mystery and adventure of following the Holy Spirit's lead.


We want to follow. And restlessness signals that the time to move may be close.


The anticipation of what might be ahead can be exciting; the uneasiness of waiting around when you finally get ready to move can be difficult to handle.

In the book of Genesis, you can read about another man that was restless and God spoke to him in a time of misery ...

"I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed the pillar and where you made a vow to Me. Now arise, get out of this land, and return to the land of your family."Genesis 31:13 NKJV

Prior to this moment, Jacob had completed 20 years of service to his father-in-law; fourteen of those years was work he yielded as payment for the right to marry his two daughters.

His hard work was not appreciated, his wages were changed ten times (and that doesn't mean he had ten cost-of-living increases). Any time there was a loss, it came from Jacob's stock- he had to make it good.
To top it off, things were a little stressful at home what with a whole passel of children and the constant back-and-forth bickering between his wives (Jacob is the poster child for monogamy).

Yeah - I'd say Jacob was more than a little restless!

Now maybe God just chose that time to speak to him, or MAYBE God had been saying "arise, get out of this land..." for awhile, but Jacob just wasn't listening until his circumstances got so bad.

Are you restless about anything right now?

No comments: