Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Book Review: Wild Goose Chase - by Mark Batterson

Recently I told you about this new book. Now that I have read it, I am really excited and convicted by it. I love stories and this book is full of them. Over the past several months, I have found myself beginning a number of books, but never completing any them. Wild Goose Chase broke that dry spell.

If you missed the earlier post and links, find it here. Here's the review:

Celtic Christians had a name for the Holy Spirit -An Geadh-Glas or 'the Wild Goose' .

With that intriguing introduction, Mark Batterson dangles the theme of his new book, Wild Goose Chase underneath our noses until we pick up the scent; and the chase is on. Then like a hound unleashed, the reader pursues the idea of pursuing the Holy Spirit.

If the book were a movie, it would be an action flick with ever-changing scenery and fresh adventures at every turn. Some have commented that the book could be read in one sitting because of its conversational style. However, I read in "dog-years" (if you will forgive the continued "hound" metaphor) so it took me about a week.

Chasing the Wild Goose is never safe and it isn't tame. In fact, if we cling to the comfortable we will never join the chase. Our areas of safety will actually become our cages.

Batterson uses interesting biblical characters like Nehemiah, Moses, Jonathan and Paul along with the stories of current and historical figures to draw us out of the cages of monotony and into the quest God has planned for us.

Batterson details a number of the 'cages' that can hold us back from chasing the Wild Goose, among them are: irresponsible responsibility, guilt, assumptions and fear that backs us into a defensive- rather than offensive -mode.

The book is not only an interesting read, but an excellent resource. I was challenged.

In C.S. Lewis's Voyage of the Dawn Treader, one of the knights is a passionate and noble mouse named Reepicheep. He's one of my favorite characters in the Narnia series. When faced with a frightful and daunting prospect he plunges in with the following quote:

"...this is a very great adventure, and no danger seems to me so great as that of knowing when I get back to Narnia that I left a mystery behind me through fear."

Reepicheep represents the valiant spirit encouraged by this book; the adventure of pursuing the Holy Spirit's lead.

No comments: