Saturday, October 31, 2009

Legacy

Once I had to write a report about Jonathan Edward's sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".

In the tenth grade assignment, I missed out on the historical significance of that sermon. In fact I didn't read the whole thing. To me it seemed oppressive and I think I wrote something about how he should have said more about God's mercy.

I might have said something similar about the sermon today, but the truth is -that the sermon launched the first Great Awakening in these United States.

Today I heard Edwards referenced in Chuck Colson's Breakpoint commentary. He was referring to the "Great Books" audio series on CD by Ken Boa, this month's installment is on one of Edward's books. What really caught my attention was legacy that Edwards and his wife left behind!!

Here is an excerpt:

"But Jonathan Edwards was not only a pastor who played a crucial role in America's first Great Awakening, he was also a missionary to Native-Americans, an earl president of Princeton University and a prolific writer.

In addition, Edwards and his wife Sarah, were also loving parents of 11 children. Of their 929 descendents history shows there have been 13 college presidents, 86 college professors, 430 ministers, 314 war veterans, 75 authors, 100 lawyers, 30 judges, 66 physicians, and 80 holders of public office. That includes three U.S. Senators, seven congressmen, three mayors, three governors, a vice president of the United States and a controller of the United States Treasury. Don't tell me teaching biblical worldview to your children isn't important"

Amen Chuck, amen.

No comments: