Sunday, April 26, 2009

The "To Do" List

Two or three things struck my thoughts during church this morning:

They are probably unrelated but both thoughts came in refreshing waves.
It's been a dry time.

I'll relate one of those thoughts here:

The Pastor said he was going to say something that would seem to contradict what he had said on Easter Sunday. He had told us then, that there was nothing we could do to merit our salvation - Jesus did it all.

He assured us that the fact that Jesus paid it all was still true; however this week he would tell us that there was something we had to do.

We have to die.

As I contemplated that thought, I realized that dying is still not actually doing something - it is ceasing to do.

When Jesus breathed His last breath on the cross, scripture says He "gave up the ghost"... that's an old phrase illustrating the release of one's soul at death. What stood out with me though was that in order to die - Jesus gave up.

And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Mark 8:34 KJV

This kingdom of God requires that we all take up the cross... we must die - to ourselves, our fears, to our distractions, our goals, even our dreams.

Then just as Christ rose from the dead - we can rise to new life, a Resurrection Life and we can live unto HIM, and cast our cares, our fears, our distractions on Him... as we dream His dreams.

But it starts with death... and that comes - not by doing - but by giving up.

If you find yourself saying "I just can't do it anymore - I give up..."

Then you are at the place at which your adventure with HIM begins.

No comments: