Thursday, April 23, 2009

At Least He's Doing Something

I am in a quandary.

I long for a return to reason: a time when people sat at tables and discussed in a straightforward manner, their thoughts about important things. I would love to see men and women saying, "yes, I see your point but I understand it this way ..." and then proceed to build the case for what they believe based upon well-thought-out reasons.

In spite of the fact that I truly believe what Ronald Reagan said about change in our nation beginning with discussions at the kitchen table - it seems that for me, when the opportunity arises - I fall short. 'Just can't seem to muster the words.

Today I sat at a table with people I do not know. When the subject of our president arose I remained silent.

One woman declared that she did not vote for the man - but you have to say that at least he's trying!

Another was even more gung-ho for the president ...pointing out that he was facing what other presidents have never had to face before and "at least he's doing something!".

I willed my head to keep from nodding because -you see- I don't like confrontation and my natural tendency is to appear conciliatory whether I agree with what a person is saying or not. So I will sometimes unconsciously nod my head - and people assume that I am in total agreement with them. I did not want to lead her to that conclusion.

The meal was ending and we soon broke up and I never tried to reason with two people that were completely looking at things from an emotional level - and were simply and completely wrong.

Instead - I will talk about it here, where you can surf on if you don't like what I am saying.

I have heard this theme more than once lately when it comes to the president - "give the guy a chance!" ... "at least he's doing something!"...

One can move in rapid response to a person engulfed with flames and throw gasoline on him.

That is a quick response - and completely wrong. But we could all say, "at least he's doing something!"

I think those of us that feel that the president's policies and actions must be opposed, do so because we see that his actions will only result in peril. We see him as throwing gasoline on the fire.

Now, about the argument that he is dealing with problems that no president has had to face before. I think that statement reflects the self-indulgent nature of pop-culture today. Like a 12 year old, they feel that anything that happens to them is bigger than life... a hang nail can be the worst crisis in the world!

I think Roosevelt (the other president who responded to an economic crisis by dramatically increasing the size and scope of government) might beg to differ with that argument. People are out of work, but have you seen any bread lines?

What about Harry Truman, who was faced with the monumental decision of using a potentially earth shattering weapon to bring a prolonged war to an end?
Even Kennedy's Cuban Missile Crisis, with a threat of nuclear weapons from less than 100 miles off the coast of Florida - wasn't that a crisis like no other president had faced?

I am convinced that the level of the economic "crisis" in this country has been greatly enhanced by the actions of this president and this congress.

It is scary the way he has moved unabated to take unprecedented actions without seeming to take a moment to consider the long term effects of his decisions.

My mindset is generally positive. When facing negative situations, I tend to try and find something good that can or will emerge from the situation - then I hang my hope on that.

When our nation elected Obama as president - I honestly thought that he was incompetent, now I am not so sure.

My bigger concern now is that he knows exactly what he is doing. That he has a plan and it is a sinister one to destroy the fundamentals of this nation.

In our Bible Study class last week, someone spoke out with the voice of reason: he pointed out that many people were upset about the rapid changes to the most basic tenants of our nation and how that the general reaction is anger.

He then pointed out how that he had been thinking alot about that and had arrived at the notion that instead of getting angry, we - as Christians - should be taking an inward look in order that we may be able to stand out in the coming days as stark examples of true Christianity. That now, more than ever, we must represent Christ.

That's the spirit that drove the martyrs down through the ages, to stand - alone if necessary - for Christ . . .

. . . this could come to that.

If it does, I hope I will be able to summon more courage than I found today during lunch.

No comments: