Saturday, April 4, 2009

HR : the world of excitement

I think I have mentioned that I work in Human Resources.

This is not an occupation that evokes immediate interest in most people. In fact when it comes up in conversation, it is usually followed by an awkward silence.

The truth is that people do not really know what HR people do - specifically.
And because HR is one of those "catch-all" categories in most companies, the department can be involved in anything from sexual harassment investigations to stapling festive and colorful Japanese lanterns to the ceiling tile (having said that, I now wonder if "Japanese lanterns" is an insensitive and discriminatory term). So it is difficult to narrow the job down to a few distinct phrases.

A year or so back, my Mom asked me (again) what it was exactly that I did. Someone had asked her and she found herself at a loss as to how to explain it.

It is hard to explain, HR people are involved in a massive variety of pursuits - which is one of the things I enjoy about my work. . . variety.

I actually chose this field because I like people and I wanted to be involved in training endeavors. I saw HR as a route to get into training and liked the idea of helping others gain meaningful employment. Instead, I get to work with training, but I also get to get my hands into a lot of other stuff too - including the occasional stapling of festive paper lanterns (not from any particular ethnic or people-group).

Okay, this post was originally intended to be more of a caption but I guess I got carried away talking about my job.

Since one of the functions of my job is health care recruiting, I conduct numerous interviews ; which is why the following video struck me as so FUNNY!


The video was emailed to me - I'm not sure where it originated.

What is your most interesting job interview experience?

No comments: