Friday, October 30, 2009

There is None Like You

I can see David, slouching back in his throne - knees jutting forward, his simple crown is scrunched down over his forehead and his curling locks move in the gentle breeze that circulates through the throne-room.

He stares upward and the tears that are welling up in his eyes finally brim over and stream down his face and beard.

"Who am I?" he says.

God had just sent a Word to David. David had made a decision to build a house for God and God had responded with a kind, affirming Word of Truth about David's future and his progeny.

It was more than David could bear - I think - he had to get away somewhere ...he had to get alone with God.

This was a period of "rest" for David, a lull from the constant battle that had been his lifestyle ever since his youth. He was now established as king of the entire nation of Israel, he and some of his best warriors had taken the great city of Jerusalem - something generations of warriors before him could not accomplish. He had children about him now and the Philistines had backed off for a time.

That was when the idea had hit David - he wanted to do something big for God.

But God outdid David.
Now God's love for us is in no way based on what we do or can do for Him, but it's pretty neat that when we set our minds to accomplish something for Him - BECAUSE we love Him - He outdoes us.

He promised David an established kingdom, one that would outlast him. I think that is a desire that burns deep in the bosom of every man - for something of him to live on beyond him.

Furthermore God promised that David's son would be the one to build the house for God and God would love him... and would never withdraw His love from him.

David was overwhelmed. The joy of God's favor was so overwhelming, he could only question "Who am I?".

As David searched the ceiling of that sacred room - as if he might catch a glimpse of God's glory - he marveled at God's promise. Possibly, this "Poet of Israel" searched deeply to find something to say that would express his gratefulness...

"there is none like You..."

I can remember turbulent times in my own life. No where near the turbulence that David endured but turbulent none-the-less. There was a period for me that it just seemed that I could not come out right-side-up with anything: my work, my marriage, my confidence, my future ... nothing seemed to be turning out as I had hoped. And it went on for quite awhile.

But I also remember when there came a time of rest. . . . a time in which God seemed to personally assure me of His love and His hand still at work in my life.

It was at that time that I could - in a small way- relate to how David felt.

"There is none like You."

This story can be found in the Bible, in 2 Samuel 7.

No comments: