Saturday, October 17, 2009

Along the Way

Here are some random things:


  • Dave Ramsey recommended anything by Seth Godin this week, I made a mental note to check out his blog; then Kevin Lloyd had a Facebook post from Seth Godin so I went there and found this ... it is sobering and helps me to question my motivation for social media involvement.

  • At long last, I have finally finished reading "Of Plymouth Colony" by William Bradford. I started reading this excellent chunk of history almost a year ago... hoping possibly to finish it around Thanksgiving Day since it chronicles the Puritans establishment of Plymouth in 1620. I really thought I would be mesmerized by the book and plow through it quickly... not so! It was a grind. Which is a good term for the experience of these noble fathers. I am amazed at their endurance and their dedication to God and to following Him wholly. They survived physical exposure to punishing elements ... lack of every necessity ... continual misrepresentations and miscommunication with sponsors in Europe ... constant attempts of graft, extortion, and various means employed against them to take advantage of them. Their honor remained pure.

  • Having returned from a wonderful tropical long weekend at Fort Walton Beach, Florida last weekend; this weekend has been cold, damp and windy.... we have already initiated the fireplace...twice!

  • R. and I watched "The Guns of Navaronne" with Gregory Peck on Netflix over the past couple of nights... last night, the kids joined us in time to watch the big Nazi guns get blown up and to cheer for the Allies.

  • Our latest Netflix DVD is "Slumdog Millionnaire" ... I do not have high expectations based on the fact that it is in color and was produced after 1949... but still I have been told that the poverty displayed is something we need to see...

  • My son - chip off the old block that he is - will do practically anything for a laugh. So at a Go -Kart track at Ft. Walton, I convinced him to pose for this picture....



he's a good sport, and I told him so.

  • I have a dilemma of sorts, Ab wants to participate in some kind of "Green" fashion show in which people enter clothing made up of mostly recyclable material. Being convinced that the whole "man-made Global Warming Hoax" is just that - I am torn between not wanting to discourage her creativity and not wanting to promote the myth.

  • Our cat "Angel"(of death)... brought us a chubby little mouse tonight and deposited it just outside the door.... I think that's how the Black Plague got started.

No comments: