Tuesday, October 6, 2009

More on Leadership

Leadership: It is painfully missing from the public scene these days.

That's one reason I wanted to focus somewhat on the leadership model of David of the Bible, as my journey took me through his life. I think David exemplifies godly leadership in many ways.

Some people may not feel that godly leadership should be applied universally. In other words, godly leadership is okay in some areas, like leadership in a church setting or maybe even leadership in the setting of the family - but in other areas, a more neutral leadership style is the best. Those areas may include business, politics, and civic organizations.

I disagree. I think godly leadership is the optimal choice in any situation - especially in business, politics and civic concerns. I believe that the American nation was built on it. In most cases, the great leaders of our history paid homage to God - some more openly than others. The truth is, whether they acknowledged it or not - and success was due solely to God's provision.

David led well because he followed well.

His defining character was that he was a "man after God's own heart".

His relationship with God affected him at every level:
  • when he was a shepherd, he relied upon God to protect him and to enable him to do his job and protect his sheep.
  • when he served King Saul - he again - relied upon God and followed Him as he saw his responsibilities escalated to the point of leading troops into battle. He followed when he served and he followed when he led.
  • as an outlaw - leading a band of discontented men; misrepresented and misunderstood, still he followed God and led his militia to do likewise. When he had opportunities to obtain vindication, he waited, overlooking the spoil that lay before him; looking instead to the heart of the One he was following.

In the opening chapters of the Old Testament book of 2 Samuel, David is finally promoted to king. It's the thing he had been promised possibly ten torturous years earlier. Yet it is less than he may have hoped for. Israel is made up of twelve tribes - David became king of only one of them... the tribe of Judah.

Godly leadership is not about grabbing power. David demonstrated this in the grace with which he accepted the position of King of Judah.

One of his initial acts as King of Judah was to follow his consistent practice of giving honor to Saul - the man that had been God's anointed one.

David sent word to the men of Jabesh-Gilead that had risked everything to rescue the dead bodies of Saul and his noble son, Jonathan - and to give them a decent burial. To those men, he proclaimed honor for their noble service.

That's godly leadership. Always taking the "high road" and not for political expediency, but rather because of his allegiance to God.

Whatever happened to the "high road"?

And before I set too many standards for others, let me look inside my own house... even my own heart.

Am I really willing to take on whatever task God allows me to be involved with - even if it's demeaning - and view it as my service to Christ?

Would I really practice restraint, were I given the opportunity to "rain on my enemy's parade"?

And what about when the rewards start trickling in - success on some fronts - would I be willing to accept that with the grace and gratefulness that David displayed. Would I remember and keep the values that brought me to that spot?

Or would I begin to clutch the thing God had given to me so freely? Grasping it madly - as if my own strength had earned it and my own strength could hold it?

While clinging tightly, would I also grab for more?

No comments: