Saturday, August 14, 2010

Okay . . .  school is back ...

When does normal kick back in?

The withering heat has wielded its apathetic effect on me.  My vacation hangover  lingers oppressively and whispers "all good things must come to an end..." - and it sounds like my Dad talking.


I don't even think that's in the Bible.

Anyway the dog days of summer have really taken hold.

Turning summertime boredom to creativity, Ab made this
sleeping aid to conquer the "1st Day Jitters Insomnia"
And while I love for my kids to be home and I like that there are fewer obligations grabbing at our time and attention during the summer; I am really ready for a cool September rain,the order of a school schedule and some yellow and orange in my foliage.

The first signal of that blessed autumn season is the start of school.  This week we celebrated the event with some of our traditions.

On the eve of that first day, Ab and AA took their turns - backs to the wall, eyes forward, heels pressed firmly against the shoe molding - it was time to account for their growth. Behind the door in our kitchen pantry, there are markings going up the wall.  One for each child.  Milestones in inches.  Both of them have grown at a noticeable pace this year and Mom and I were anxious to see just how much. 

On the first morning, we take pictures.  Actually we borrowed this tradition from my sister who did that with her two kids all the way through until they graduated high school.

On that first day, we have to get an early start but usually manage to tone down the anxiety and excitement enough to get some sort of memento of the occasion.

One long-held tradition was honored but broken as well:

The kids and I always indulge in a Waffle House breakfast on the day before school starts.

Well this year, my work schedule wasn't conducive to my taking a day off, so we put it off until today (Saturday).

When we finally arrived at our favorite Waffle House this morning and found a seat among the throng - there was a problem.

I had not brought a sufficient amount of cash.  Ab can be trusted to have a little cash on hand but her stash wasn't sufficient either.  Now I am a huge fan of Dave Ramsey but despite his preaching - I still have one major credit card that I carry for "emergencies"; unfortunately, Waffle House doesn't accept my brand.

We explained our dilemma to the wait person (one of the regulars we see each trip) and scooted out the door.

We ended up at Chic-Fil-a and enjoyed a good breakfast.  I managed to snap a couple of pictures there, but Ab informed me that I am now capable of embarrassing her (I guess I'll have that dynamic to deal with now) so I cut them short.
"Anything-for-a-laugh" - AA
With an eye toward adolescence,
Ab "voted with her feet" to end the Photo Session.
The marks on the wall in our pantry do not begin to tell the story of growth.  Changes marked only by inches in that arena - are pouring forth  by the mile in real life - and quicker than we can seem to absorb them! 
I am mindful more and more these days of the blessing God has dealt us to be together as a family and I sometimes want to cling to every moment.

But life moves on and though we hate to leave some of these seasons, there is also something luring about the things He has in store just ahead.

For everything there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven:  Ecclesiastes 3:1 ESV 

No comments: