Saturday, August 7, 2010

Vacation Inspiration

Going to the beach can be inspiring.  Vacations for R. and I used to include some definite time for contemplation. R. likes to sleep in; I tend to rise early on vacation (especially near the beginning of one) which often meant that I could spend some quiet time of solitude.

One vacation to Destin took place at a juncture in which our marriage was about to springboard out of crisis - that vacation was particularly contemplative.  I did a lot of reading those few days, I remember how Ben Franklin's Autobiography struck a special chord with me then.

On another long weekend several years earlier, it was a low time for me career-wise, and in terms of my self-worth ... I spent a good bit of time in quiet thought and prayer; it was a valuable time....

... and then we had children.

In recent years, vacations have become increasingly loud, more television, more chatter, more bickering.

I don't mind so much, I just have to adjust my expectations. . .
.. . . . and find inspiration where I can.

AA, who is developing a skill for coining a phrase - or inserting one, came up with one as we played in the waves this week.  When his boogie-board was swept out of his hands by an unexpected wave he said:  "I thought I'd lost my boogie!".

That phrase inspired me to pen the lines to this country-western song:

I thought I'd lost my boogie, when she walked out the door.
My heart was broke - I didn't think I could honky-tonk no more
The bright lights and the music didn't lure me like before,
I thought I'd lost my boogie, when she walked out the door.

Look out Jimmy Buffet....

No comments: