Friday, December 31, 2010

Bringing an End to 2010

Before he retired, Dad was in the life insurance sales business; for about five years, I worked under his management in the same industry.
Motivation was key in the business of sales and while I never really "fit" into that industry - I loved the motivation part ... still do.

A new year was always a time for goal setting and a great opportunity to "motivate the troops".  Dad always liked to add a motivational "hook" to the new year:  "We need to sell MORE in 1984!" .... "Let's COME ALIVE in '85!" ...and such.

Hence the title to this post ...

As I compose this, we are spending a rather quiet evening at home - R. is setting up her new Ipad and AA and is standing over her shoulder ... asking a myriad of questions and offering a plethora of suggestions.
Ab is working on a project - she is our family's requisite project manager - I'm not sure what she is doing, but I think it is some sort of New Year's Celebration.

The plan was that we would play a year-end, ultimate Foosball/Air Hockey Tournament.
We watched our latest Netflix movie "Friendly Persuasion" with Gary Cooper during and after dinner.  So the tournament's fate remains in question.

In some ways, it will be good to bid a fond farewell to 2010.  I stay entrenched in politics and in that realm, this year has been ugly.  The rise of the "Tea Party" and a renewed interest in the Constitution and America's heritage have been among the few bright spots.

Economically, things are tough.  We count ourselves as doubly blessed to still be among the employed - and are at the same time, sensitive to those who have found themselves displaced this year.
As prices continue to rise and businesses are forced to tighten up or close, it is disappointing.

The year end finds the church-life of our family, still in transition.  A couple of years ago, we made a decision to not only leave the church we had attended for over twenty years; but also to move to one with some doctrinal differences and some very different worship style (we moved from a Charismatic- Pentecostal congregation to a Reformed Presbyterian church).  
It is a very welcoming fellowship but we have spent this period listening, learning - and therefore still feel a little like outsiders at times.

Finally, I think R. and I are physically and mentally tired  We realize the disadvantages of having children a little later in life - especially when it comes to the energy required to taxi said kids to various activities in diverse parts of town.  I think both of us find ourselves sacrificing the things we would like to do for the things we have to do.  Maybe that's just part of being a parent - if so, I wouldn't trade it!

Wow! From the foregoing assessment - it appears this year has been a real downer!

It actually is not all that negative - it's just different. . . and change is part of growing.

Back in his insurance days ... my assessment would probably have prompted my Dad to say something like ...

"Don't tell me about the labor pains ... just show me the BABY!"

See ya' 2010 ... it was nice knowing ya'

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I continue to enjoy reading your, as well as R's, blog(s) and given the "mood" of your most recent post, decided to share this year's "Christmas Letter" with you.
Many Blessings...

Merry Christmas All,
I guess I should preface by saying this will probably not be your traditional “Christmas letter”…You know the one where I brag about how wonderful my kids are (even though they are truly wonderful), the exotic locations that we’ve visited (somehow I don’t think that “World Market” would qualify) or the great accomplishments made throughout the year (although there have been moments when merely maintaining some sense of sanity has felt like just that). No, in this letter I wanted to share a little of what’s on my heart during this “season”.

To be honest, I’ve struggled with the idea of writing this letter at all. A part of me wanted to simply slap a card in an envelope, or do as I did last year, and skip the practice all together. For me, as is for many, the entire period from Thanksgiving to New Years, while joyous in so many ways, spawns much reflection upon the events of the previous year… often these events not quite so joyous. For me, this time around, it was the murder of a friend, and ultimately the loss of my mother. For many around me, it’s been the loss of a child, the loss of a marriage, a home, or a job and the uncertainty that comes along with it all. For a few closest to me, it’s been an unanticipated diagnosis, a suicide, and mistakes that have brought about the loss of dignity, the loss of purpose, and ultimately the loss of hope. If you’re one of those, while there’s a message here for everyone, this letter is most intended for you.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.” When I think about this passage I’m reminded of the last Mother’s Day spent in the hospital with my mom just days before she passed away. I was “reared” (and don’t you dare make fun of me for using that word! According to my English Professor you “raise” windows, you “rear” children) on a church pew and probably heard that passage a thousand times but didn’t pay much attention until hearing it in the stillness of her hospital room, after everyone else had gone for the day, and knowing what I was about to face . Fortunately for me, the message stuck; for every thing there is a season… In other words, don’t get bogged down by judging your entire life during one difficult period. To further illustrate, I want to share a story that I came across recently.

Unknown said...

There once was wise father who had four sons whom he desperately wanted to teach not to judge things too quickly. To make his point he sent each of them to travel to see a pear tree a great distance away. The first son went in the winter, the second in the spring, the third in the summer, and the fourth in the fall. When they had all gone and returned, he called them together to describe to him and each other what they had seen.

The first son said that the tree was ugly; bent, and twisted, to which the second son disagreed saying that it was covered with green buds and full of promise. The third son disagreed again. He said that it was the most graceful thing he’d ever seen; full of beautiful and sweet smelling blossoms. Finally the last son disagreed with them all. He said that the tree he witnessed was ripe and drooping with fruit; full of life and fulfillment.

After listening to each of his sons, the father then explained that in fact, each of them was right. Although they had all witnessed the same tree, each saw just one season in the tree’s life. He told them that you can not judge a tree, or a person, (or yourself) by one season. The essence of a life; the pleasure, joy, love and success that come from that life can only be measured in the end, when all the seasons are up.

If you give up in the winter, you’ll miss the promise of your spring, the beauty of your summer, and the fulfillment of your fall. If you’re in a painful season, this is my wish / gift for you…take hope in knowing that it’s just that; a season. Don’t let the pain of one season destroy the joy of all the rest.

As for my mom, I’m sure she’s dancing.

Blessings,

Michele Pierce

AMOCS said...

That was beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!