Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Dawn

My first goal for 2010 regarding this blog is to get the Christmas music off the player. If you are reading this post to the tune of something other than yuletide cheer - then know that I have stricken that one off my list!

I like to set some easy objectives so as to be able to quickly feel that sense of accomplishment!

We have truly been enjoying some downtime in Hilton Head, SC. It was truly a time of doing nothing.
I think we are caught up with television - the kid's got a full year supply of the Disney Channel all crammed into five days. We all sat up late and slept very late.

The weather was pretty but there was most always a slight bite in the coastal breezes so our visits to the beach were few.

We took a few bicycle rides - Hilton Head is a great bicycle-friendly place there are bike paths everywhere. However it was a little too chili to take on any grandly designed outings (I was holding out in hopes of having someone - ANYONE - that would get excited about rising early and biking in to some Waffle-House-Like restaurant for a hardy breakfast . . . but alas, no one took the bait).

R. finished one book and I was able to finally complete "Francis Asbury" and "When Helping Hurts" (my apologies to my Sunday School leader who was probably under the impression that I completed the book about three weeks ago with the rest of the class).

The kids and I got in some Foosball and a little ping-pong.

We are now home where it is really cold.

Ab. - the "Lady of the List" - has diligently written out her goals for this year. We have talked about some family objectives but I am okay with getting those things settled some time this week.

This past year has been one of unrest for me. I have found myself dissatisfied and uncomfortable in many areas. My self confidence has taken a shot or two since I am out of my comfort zone.

In thinking about this year personally, I have noted that all the transition - with changes at work, changes in where we worship, changes in my children and the like - have left me in an uncomfortable place. For a number of years, I talked about and prayed about leaving my area of comfort - thought it would be a good thing. I didn't think it would look like this, though.

I really suspected that being out of my comfort zone would mean working in the inner-city or in some jungle somewhere. I did not expect it to mean exploring some age old doctrines that are very new to me; attending worship services that are geared very differently from what I have been accustomed to all my life; moving to a different work role to one that is less defined and (as one person described it) even "pastoral" in nature.

It's a new year: a good time to take a fresh stab at some new things or to sharpen the saw in order to work more efficiently at some duties with which we have been previously occupied.

I hope your new year is dawning with some excitement and fresh hope. May God grant you to be strong and courageous and also discerning as you define the challenges before you and plunge into the process of meeting them!!

No comments: