Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chuckles

Life has brought our family to the point that -these days- the guys and the gals often get divided up.

That means that AA and I get to spend time together and that's okay. He is still my "buddy-friend" even though he no longer remembers calling me that as a toddler.

Ab and I have had seasons in which we also spent a great deal of exclusive time together - like when she was three and R. was very occupied with a newborn infant. Ab and I often grabbed our bicycles as soon as I got home and headed to a nearby walking track. There she would ride and I would walk - at first - and later ride as well. We went from tricycle to training wheels at that track and I distinctly remember one particular evening in which there were lots of people there. I decided it was time to go and Ab and I found ourselves at cross-purposes. I ended up carrying her bicycle and dragging her back to my truck.

While on vacation, I remembered something that Ab and I share - a love for comedy.
Now AA is our up and coming resident comedian - but if you want to sit down and watch a sitcom or a funny movie - Ab is your girl.

On New Year's Eve, some station plays a marathon of "Three Stooges" shorts. We discovered this on our recent trip to Hilton Head (while we were stocking up on hours and hours of television viewing before our return to TV Exile at home). R. can only stand a minimal amount of "The Three Stooges" - she doesn't get the highbrow humor, you know - so Ab and AA went to their room to watch more while Mom and I read our books.

I began to notice almost a steady rhythm of chuckles coming from the room. It was Ab, laughing on cue with every smash or slap of the trio's shtick. I found that I couldn't concentrate on reading for waiting for the next outburst.

I love funny stuff. I ran across an old Smothers Brothers routine this past week and laughed til I cried. I think Ab is like me in that sense and nothing makes a "funny" more funny than having someone else to laugh with you.

Because we do not have cable or satellite (or antenna) - television viewing tends to still be more of an event with us.

I have often talked about my love for old movies here and am so grateful that R. has come alongside me in that appreciation; but as our family gathered round and watched "It's a Wonderful Life" together this Christmas, I realized that Ab is coming around too. She "got" the humor and added to my own laughter.

The Book says laughter does good like a medicine and that is true!

I am happy for the prospect of continued laughter in our home . . . it's one of those things that keeps me always wanting to rush back there when I am away.

No comments: