Monday, March 26, 2012

"Everybody goes to Rick's"

As I try to better adapt, demonstrate and live a more Biblical worldview, I have been forced to rethink my ideas about politics.  I am trying to re-examine those views which I hold dear - holding them up to the light - in order to detect flaws.

I enjoy dabbling in politics- grew up hearing it discussed often.  The conventional wisdom among Christian bloggers seems to lean toward appearing apolitical but I just think that because Americans determine the direction of their country, they hold a higher responsibility than the citizenry of other nations.  As Americans - and more so as Christian Americans - I do not believe we can easily afford to pass on political questions.  If the country goes awry, we must be held accountable to some degree.

Furthermore, because I find my voice being increasingly boxed out, I am choosing this forum to air my thoughts.

If you have read any of my thoughts previously, you know that I am a hard-right leaning conservative.

In the last Presidential election, I voted -reluctantly- for John McCain; and that solely because of the decision to choose Sarah Palin as his running mate.

In some ways, I felt relieved when Barack Obama won the election.  I knew that John McCain would have only prolonged our dismal slogging toward destruction - at least Obama would take us there in a hurry.  My hope was that we could ride out the storm and the people would be ready to embrace a return to first principles.  I remembered Jimmy Carter's ridiculous term and how that afterward,  people would have accepted Richard Nixon back in the White House before voting for him again.
Perhaps Americans would learn quickly that our founder's knew what they were talking about.

I entered the Obama Presidency in the same way I faced my fears as a child on the little train in the petting zoo at Grant Park in Atlanta.  We went there each summer for a family reunion and I was afraid of the tunnels through which the train passed. I overcame that fear by riding the train and when approaching the tunnel, I would stare at the floor, shut everything out and practically hold my breath until it was over.

I entered 2009 with an attitude of "holding my breath until it was over".

In this year's primary vote, I opted for Rick Santorum and continue to feel that - of the present field - he's the best choice. 

Over the next few days, I will present some of my thoughts about the primary:  why I personally am not pulling for the other candidates, and why I am voting for Rick Santorum.

A few years back, R. and I were listening to Rick being interviewed on talk radio (I think it was during his failed attempt to return to the Senate).  I told her then - he's grooming for the presidency, his talk is on a national basis.

I wondered why he hasn't caught fire  during this election cycle.  Perhaps it is due to his lack of funding or the backing of the party.  Or maybe he is just simmering.

Tomorrow we look at the primary "front-runner" ... declared so much too early if you asked me ... Mitt Romney.

No comments: