Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mitt's No Fit

In this year's primary vote, I opted for Rick Santorum and continue to feel that - of the present field - he's the best choice.  I am doing a little series on why I am not opting for the other guys, then finishing out with some of the reasoning behind my decision for Santorum.

Today the candidate is Mitt Romney. 
               
Mitt Romney - like Santorum, I voted for Romney during the 2008 primary season.  And like Santorum, I did so because I thought he was the most conservative of the candidates running (which is not saying much).  When I saw the Romney add recently, replaying Santorum's endorsement of Romney in 2008 (and when I heard Romney reference it during the debate), I grinned.  It was certainly a clever move. 
But then as I thought more about it:  who ends up looking noble in that ad - the candidate who once spoke approvingly of one he now withstands; or the candidate who accepted his endorsement and then - for political purposes - used it to stab him in the back? 

To me, Rick Santorum comes across more loyal to his friends - nobler. 

In 2008, Mitt was the last chance to put down McCain, whom I have long viewed as an opportunist gladly dancing to the pipings of the press.  McCain could not seem to restrain himself from fawning to the Left and from pouncing on Conservatives.  Mitt folded - much too early in my estimation.  It was too sudden.  It felt as if the fix was in.   I have not since been able to escape the notion that somewhere, some powerful operative of the political machine patted Mitt's hand and said, "back off this time and next time we will throw everything we've got behind you."

Fast forward to 2012 and pundits everywhere have been talking about how Mitt would have the nomination sewed up in fast order.  They've talked about how the states would "fall like dominoes" and the delegates would stack up behind Romney, who would be ready by the end of January or February to prep for his race against Obama.

Unfortunately for Mitt, the people kept getting in the way.

Thinking adults - though their numbers appear to be diminishing quickly - recognize that over the past four years, this nation has lurched violently toward the left.  Adults realize the burdensome plight ahead of us and know that nothing short of "radical" (dare I say "draconian") reforms are required to get us back on track.

I think the best the Mitt can offer are "adjustments" - not radical shifts.

There seems to be a growing malignancy in our nation's capitol and Republicans appear to be only slightly better than their counterparts.  In 2010 - thanks to the Tea Party and other Adults - Republicans were handed a great gift.  They quickly took charge of that "gift" and began to try and reshape it.  As we approach another election, we see that most, if not all, of their promises are still un-kept.  Constituents are bewildered.

Mitt just seems to offer more of the same.
Finally - if for no other reason - I oppose Mitt because I deplore being told what to do.

Tomorrow we will take a look at Newt.

No comments: