Saturday, September 12, 2009

Vent

I am working on a post.

But it is Saturday.

And R. is working today.

And my children have developed this special sense that when I get really ready and somewhat inspired to post something (isn't happening very often these days) - they both feel the need for attention.

I can be ignored for long periods of time. . . .

. . . but then let me simply click over to the vast opportunity of Blogger's "New Post" page and here they come.

"Dad, I have a question!"

"Dad, you said we could - "

"Dad, when are you going to be finished with that?"

With every interruption I can feel the tension rising.

I don't blame them - they don't understand that the convergence of inspiration and opportunity can be a very fleeting thing - especially for an old guy like me.

On top of that, the "to do" list beckons and the guilt of the undone looms heavy.

In back of all this is the fact that I know these Saturdays with "kids" are a fleeting thing. There will likely come a day in which the house will fall silent. They will be only too happy to be busy with their own stuff.

There is an awareness in me that God has blessed R. and I with two very special "sponges" and it is our God-given quest to provide as much good stuff for these "sponges" to soak up as possible. It is our call - our challenge - to prepare them to impact the world for good.

This quest requires time. It requires attention. It requires sacrifice.

So I am choosing.

More later? - well maybe

The posting will just have to wait.

I have a job to do.

No comments: