Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Legends of the Fall

I heard Ken Frenke of Ken Frenke & Co. in a radio interview today and in it he asked what big event occurred on September 29th?

I was baffled.

His answer did not require a great reach backward in history - in fact, it only went as far as last year - September 29, 2008.

Now do you know?
It was the day our latest economic turmoil came to fruition - on this date the Dow Jones dropped an unprecedented 700 points.
Do you remember how that talk was, that we might not make it through the weekend if Congress didn't do something and do it fast?!!

Well, eventually they did do something and I am still peeved over that deal.

Those of you that read these postings often (that's you, Mom), know that I have some definite political leanings and every once in awhile, I cast off the restraints and write about it. But mostly, I try to curb those impulses somewhat.

Don't you think it is interesting that "We the people" and Congress have been locked into a fisticuffs of sorts throughout every Autumn in recent memory?

Last year it was the sharp economic downturn and the warped remedies that were applied. Obviously, my side lost that battle and I think we,as a nation, are still smarting - not from the problem but from the solutions that were applied. But that's just one man's opinion.

The Autumn before that, it was the Immigration reform deal.

They were telling us that there was a BIG problem that had to be fixed and RIGHT NOW, too.

We never did get that legislation passed. Gee, what do you know, we survived.

So this year, the big political circus has rolled into town in the form of "Healthcare Reform" and the parade came to a halt some time back in July. Since then, they just can't seem to get the wheels turning again.

But once again, the talk was - something HAD to be done and right away ...before the Congressional Summer recess....

I think another deadline passed this week and we are still surviving. I think the next absolute last day is maybe Thanksgiving.

At any rate it looks as if we are locked into another battle for Fall.

I hope that more and more Americans are beginning to get wise to their cries of "wolf".

I believe that more are beginning to realize that the less this Congress actually DOES - the better off we will all be.

No comments: