Saturday, October 4, 2008

What Now?

Believe me, I am planning to put this "Bail Out" issue to rest very soon. I do not like the fact that it has made me a little bitter. I am really praying about my own attitude.


Then again, Edmond Burkes' quote popped up one day this week on my Franklin Planner -"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing". So perhaps all this ranting is my way of chiseling away some particles of evil.


If you are one of the handful of people (okay maybe "handful" is exaggerating a bit)... if you are a person that stops by this blog from time to time, and you are wearied by all this concentration on the same issue, please know that I hope to throw in some variety soon. I read back over my Inaugural Blog a few minutes ago to see if I am sticking to the original principles; I am close.


I have a real need to focus on some light out there - something good that I can anticipate. That's part of my make-up. If I have an event that I am looking forward to somewhere out there in the future, it can change my whole outlook. On the other hand, if there is a negative or foreboding issue out there (like say, having to work on a Saturday), it can put a damper on the entire preceding week.


So in viewing this Bail Out our U.S. Congress has just perpetrated on us, I need to find something positive or some possibility of fighting back. That will - I hope - give me a "mind to work". In his response to one of my emails, my Senator said that when facing this the "most serious and critical domestic issue" he had dealt with in his 14 years in congress, he had two choices - to do nothing or to take action.


So he took action. Unfortunately, he forgot to mention that the action he would take was both foolish and harmful to our nation.


I guess I could look forward those tax credits for bicycling to work; Or the assistance to homeowners if we decide to purchase a new "top-loading washer"; all of which were included in the Bail Out.

'Good thing they got that passed before the weekend! I hate imagine what life in these United States would have been like next week if those earth-shattering innovations were not added!

No wonder the stock market made such a dramatic comeback at the news of this monumental action by congress.... what? the market didn't comeback?

What's that you say? The market fell below the low it hit earlier this week after the House made their stand against this legislation?

At that time - analysts told us it was the market's reaction to the House failure ... now they tell us Friday's response was just a reaction to the overall economy - not the House passage of the Bail Out. Hmmm.

Well, let's just see what we can begin working toward... how can We, the People respond?

I don't want to sound overly radical - but this latest action is tyranny. Our forefathers thought it was reasonable to respond to tyranny with action. They eventually took up arms against tyranny. I am not suggesting that.

I do think that a strong reaction is merited and if we care about the freedoms Mr. President signed away yesterday, we will not let this go.

At the very least, no person in congress facing re-election, that voted for this bill should have the opportunity to return next year.

I don't take that statement lightly - my Senator is a Republican and up until the latter part of this year, he has performed his service fairly honorably. But with regard to the Bail Out, I believe he has been duped and unless he has the judgment to realize it, I do not think he should be rewarded with something as valuable as my vote.

That raises a further problem. The Republicans, having decided that they really don't want to be associated with the all that Reagan stuff: lower taxes, entrepreneurial freedom, limited government, right to life, less regulation, judicial prudence. The Democrat party wrote off those issues 30 years ago, now the Republican elites are trying to do the same.

Mr. McCain - our party leader - keeps walking all over me to get across the aisle and compromise with someone over there.

So therefore the Republicans have no plan in place to exploit this HUGE opportunity that has been handed to them. A "Newt Gingrich-Style" Contract with America would be so timely now!
Just a few clearly communicated principles that we will fight for - no matter what! Mr. McCain knows how to fight - he knows how to win - we need him in the ring! Pointing out the corruption and taking on the perpetrators; and we need him to quit slugging the guys in his own corner while buddying up to his opponent's trainer. . . Al Gore indeed!

Unfortunately, there is no clear simply-stated agenda. And no leadership.

So if I cast my vote for some write-in or some third party candidate (because I won't be voting democrat), the situation could worsen.

Let me tell you about one time when I think I did the right thing as a parent (I hope there are many more but I am never sure). When Ab was a toddler, maybe three, she had begun rebelling a little - testing Mom and Dad. One day she and I went to the store, on the way in she began pulling away, something was not quite to her liking and she was letting me know. I warned her once that if she continued we would not go in to Kmart. She continued. I picked her up, turned us around and we went home.

I don't remember why we were going there, but I am pretty sure that I needed to go to Kmart for something. So I lost out on that opportunity. However, the gain was that I never have had to do that with her since.

If this election goes poorly and conservatives tank. I have to hope that it is so that the lessons will be learned and we will rise above the mire of indecision and mushy leadership of today.


This legislation is literally an assault on the basic freedoms of our nation... we cannot let that go without comment.
To the few who had the courage to stand against this assault - thank you!

No comments: