Thursday, May 13, 2010

Who Are You Going to Trust?

It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in people.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.

Psalm 118:8-9 NLT

I keep running across verses like these lately; I hope I get the point.

When I employ this concept (trust God, not other things) to filter my thoughts and responses to the things I encounter every day - the practice seems very foreign. In fact, I find that I am perfectly willing to trust in inferior things as opposed to trusting God.

Years ago, I was struck by a story told by members of a short term missions team. A meal had been prepared for them during their visit and the guest list was pretty large. When the group hosting the function found that they had run out of food their response was simple.

"Let us now trust God."

I like that.

Instead, I tend to wrestle with challenges that come my way, I try to develop a back-up plan or kick myself for NOT developing a back-up plan.

Here are some reasons I can trust God:
  • He is Sovereign. In other words, He reigns over everything.
  • He has a plan.
  • He is good.
  • He loves me.

Because I know that He is good and He loves me in particular (and everyone of us can say that), it can be a great comfort to remember that He has a purpose to fulfill in the things I encounter - and He possesses the sovereign power to bring about His purpose.

When my finances get tight and I begin to smart from foolish decisions; He has a plan. His plan may not be a divine bailout - rather it may be to let me struggle a little so I will be willing to listen and learn His best plan for my finances.

When the world - and my country in particular - seems to be spinning out of control and I feel powerless. He has a plan. His plan may be to ultimately bring a nation to its knees so that its people will finally seek refuge in Him.

When relationships become tense and complicated, and I wonder what things can't be like they were. He has a plan. I know from experience. Sometimes the relational struggles can push us to a point of desperation which is where it seems that God's power best revealed.

The prominent headlines of our times can make us fearful because they reflect no hope in Christ.

- Riots in Europe

- Volcanic eruptions in Iceland

- Thwarted terrorist attacks in New York

- Looming worldwide economic disaster

- Unprecedented flooding in Nashville

- An oil spill in the Gulf that threatens much of our coastal regions and much industry

- Massive changes in the scope and direction of our government, limiting individual liberties

We are bombarded by these messages everyday.

It begs the question -"Who are you going to trust?"

Psalm 112 describes the joy of those who fear the Lord and delight in His commands. Verse 7 is applicable here:

"They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. "

No comments: