Saturday, January 31, 2009

Here Was My Day

Since I have posted an unusually small number of posts this month and since January has all but slipped away, I am making an unapologetic attempt at making my posting numbers look better but writing about nothing.

Well, it worked for Jerry Seinfeld!

I have some well planned excuses for not being so consistent with my blog posts:

  • I was tired.
  • I felt that I should spend more time with my family.
  • My computer was sort of acting up.
  • I posted a lot more stuff than I usually do in December - call it balance.
  • I finally accepted an invitation to join Facebook, so I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to come up with cute and snappy things to say to people I haven't seen in years.
January was rather foreboding this year. I began the month with something planned for nearly every weekend. . . some people like that. I don't.
Saturdays are meant to be left open to serendipity.

If I have my Saturday planned out ahead of time - it can take the wind right out of my sails by mid-morning on Monday.

Plan out the majority of my Saturdays for a month and I could go catatonic!

Well despite the severe deficit of free Saturdays, the month turned out to be okay.

Our first weekend was spent on a retreat that was so on time! It literally pumped some life back into this "warped, frustrated old man..."

The Lock-in that was planned for the following weekend was converted into a Friday night only event! For probably twenty years now, I have loathed Lock-Ins.

These all night affairs are an exquisitely designed form of torture for everyone but the kids.

I seldom remember getting any sleep during a Lock-In. If the kids happen to sleep (which is rare), I end up lying awake and listening to the other adults rattle the windows with their snoring. I also always seem to associate the aroma of a middle school boys' locker room with lock-ins.

The Lock-In that had been planned was with AA's scout Pack; but temperatures took a nosedive and cooler heads prevailed. Okay, so I dodged that bullet.

My wife - precious thing that she is - made it light on me when Ab's birthday rolled around the next weekend.... we didn't have a party. But we did celebrate in a variety of ways and it too was a refreshing weekend.

This weekend's event was a retreat for the office group with which I work. We always have a good time at these things - but we have them on Saturday!

Today's retreat was a Banning Mills near Newnan, Georgia. It was really great. The facilities there are fantastic - with the one exception being that they had gas logs instead of an authentic fireplace. The team-building sessions were fun and instructive (including the fact that we got to careen over the gorge on a zip-line!), and we got free stuff... you know, coffee mugs, sports bags and teeny weeny Etch-A-Sketches - important stuff!

So, while my Saturday was a wash as far as my family is concerned, it was somewhat profitable.

There - if you are still with me then you have just seen an example of what one can come up with when he really has nothing to say.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: