Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Year of the Angry Woman?

Since my turns at the computer are fewer these days and seldom seem to correspond with my energy and inspiration level, I am going to indulge myself in a little political analysis.

I live in Georgia, and our gubernatorial (not "goobernatorial") race pits a former congressman against a former governor.  It has not garnered a lot of interest - due in part to the fact that national politics have been on the forefront.  Besides, Georgia governors tend to be uninspiring.
Don't get me wrong, I have liked some of them - liked them a lot.  I even liked the governor that is now leaving office (the first Republican governor of Georgia since Reconstruction).

Anyway, being that I am something of a conservative policital junkie, I am surprised that I have apparently missed something this year.

It appears - judging from the ads put out by former governor Roy Barnes, Democrat, - that I was completely oblivious to a hotly trending constituency.

One year some time back, it was the "Year of the Soccer-Mom", remember that?  Another time it was the "Reagan Democrats" or the perpetually illusive (and fickle) "Independents" that seemed to be the groups to market toward.

Roy Barnes, Democrat, -adroit political  avante-guard that he is -has apparently jumped on a  burgeoning NEW trend!

He is marketing his ads to "angry, bitter, women".

I must confess that I have not seen any television ads (except portions of a questionable TV ad that included some doctored video) - all of my experience with Roy Barnes, Democrat, ads have been on the radio. 

In one a frustrated woman talks about some bill that Nathan Deal had voted against that was supposed to protect rape victims.  She ends by declaring that she can "never forgive him" for that.

Another ad features yet another woman - a STRONG woman - that is barking orders to mousy men in her office, she decries Nathan Deal's business acumen in very demanding tones.  For a moment, I felt I needed to apologized for something ... being a man, I guess... then I teetered between the idea of sending flowers or getting her a cup of coffee.

In another ad two women whisper about their votes and then how one will manipulate her unsuspecting husband into voting for Roy Barnes, Democrat.

At best, these ads have left me ...uninspired.  At worst, they prompt me to become uninvolved, to stay home with my vote.

As I was going over these thoughts, I heard an ad from a campaign in Florida, our neighbors to the south.

Refreshingly, it said, and did - what ads should do. 

It inspired me.  It almost made me want to move to Florida - just so I could vote.

See what you think.


Vote.

No comments: