Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Brother: On a Mission from God

Yesterday I was able to return to my parent's home for a Saturday visit.

Since Dad's heart surgery last year our perspective has changed toward my parents. They suddenly have become vulnerable. . . needy, at times. Dad has improved greatly since coming home in November but he is nowhere near where he was two years ago.

Our weekends have been overly busy for the past month so I haven't been able to get by on Saturdays as much.

This past Saturday, my sister, her husband, my brother and Ab, AA and me all happened to be there at the same time and I heard a little story that I want to pass along to you.

This past week, my brother found himself with a little time to kill and he was near Mom and Dad's house one afternoon so he decided to drop in.

For a time, it was pretty necessary that someone drop in on them pretty often, but Dad's condition has improved to the point that they are much more independent. So it was unusual for my brother to drop in.

What he didn't know, was that as he was arriving at the idea of stopping by - Mom and Dad were praying.

Mom and Dad had locked themselves out of the house. They had no cell phone with them, Mom did not feel comfortable at all with leaving Dad sitting on the steps while she went to a neighbor's house to get help.

So in a sort of desperation they plopped down there in the carport and someone said -let's pray.

Pray they did.

Within moments, my brother drove up.

I am not clear on how they actually got into the house - I think they found a spare key - but the points are these:

  • Of Plopping - God came through when His people called on Him. Now they may have come up with some other solution - they might have survived sleeping in their vehicles - but at the point that they plopped down and said "We need help , let's pray" - it was as if God was standing ready to send in resources.

  • Of Popping - Secondly, my brother did not have a revelation (though I think he was claiming that he might have had a revelation later, in order to appear more holy) - it was just an idea that popped in his head. Pursuing the idea allowed him to be on God's Mission.

What are you struggling with?

What problem are you trying to wrestle down to the ground before seeking help from God?

Maybe it is time to stop, and plop down somewhere and just pray. If you are married, invite your spouse to join you and pray together.

Next,

How many little ideas pop into your head throughout the day?

How many notions get pushed aside because you are too busy or think you might not be able to afford to stop and pursue the idea?

How many opportunities do we pass up daily - to be on a Mission from God?

No comments: