Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Big Sister

Tomorrow is my big sister's birthday.

Seven years my senior and the middle child of our sibling trio, she is one of the most influential people in my life. I have always held her opinion in high regard.

My children have in their possession now (I'm not sure who actually has it right now) a little red plastic wallet that my sister bought for me when I was very small. It has a tiger on the front and his eyes wink -dependent upon the angle at which you turn him. If memory serves me correctly, she bought it for me at some point when she went to town and I couldn't go. She was always doing for me - reading me stories, buying me little things, playing with me when I didn't have friends around.

Though she and our older brother antagonized me at times (after all I was the baby), she most often took a compassionate view of my plight. I seem to remember that she and I were at odds a great deal until the shared struggle of a family tragedy drew us together. The "tragedy" was our move in 1971 to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We had lived in our town for about seven years (most all my life) and she -being a teenager- was in love. In the middle of a school year we moved about three hours away. Our brother was married and away from home, so we just had each other. It was a sad time.

I think we have been close ever since; too close - I'm sure - at times. For I sometimes was allowed to accompany her on her dates. I can't imagine the patience it must have required to have your ten year old little brother tagging along on a Saturday night. But that's the thing about my sister, she always made me feel as if she really liked me being around. She still does - and not just me; my kids feel the same way. If she is coming over for a visit they will plan on all the things they want to show her. They know their aunt will think every little detail is important!

She has always been approachable; to this day, I know of hardly anything that I cannot talk to my sister about - her husband too! Why they have listened closely as I have talked at length about things that really mattered to me: who I was dating or wanted to date as a teenager, where I worked or wanted to work, or even things I dreamed about.

There home was always open to me and I have always felt welcomed there. In fact next to Mom and Dad's house - her house was home.

I guess to sum it up - my sister is kind.

She has always chosen to be one of those people that gets things done in the background, without a lot of fanfare. She's always willing to let someone else have the spotlight.

She is very tenderhearted - cries very easily. But inside she is tough as nails.

My sister and her husband have successfully reared two children and now have two grandchildren in there flock. For quite a number of years she worked for a small bookkeeping firm and eventually moved into a partnership there. Recently, she and her partner sold the business and she went back to college when she was in her fifties.

That is amazing.

With that obstacle behind her, she is now completing her first year of teaching and I am very proud of her for going after her dream. Generations will rise up and call her blessed.

Sis, I love you. Thank you for listening to and loving your little brother (even when I kicked you in the shin with my pointy-toed cowboy boots!) and after you listened, thanks for speaking the truth back to me.

You are an example to me (and my family) in your attitude, your perserverance, and your faith in God.

Happy Birthday!

No comments: