Monday, June 22, 2009

To Catch a Sunrise

It's Monday - officially it is Day Three of our vacation - second morning in Perdido Key.

I awoke early and decided to seize the day as they say. So I sneaked out the back door just after 5:00 AM (Central time - which gave me a slight edge) and headed for the beach in search of a sunrise.

I am somewhat directionally-challenged so I am never quite sure if you can catch a "glorious" sunrise on the eastern gulf coast or not. The sky hinted toward pink as I made it to the beach and the waves seemed to be a little more thunderous and threatening than during full daylight. I should have known where Due East was - but I didn't- so I looked for the brightest area of the sky and walked in that general direction.

We are on something of a barrier island and the end toward the sunrise is bounded by a Gulf Coast National Park so the buildings end within about a mile from our beach access.

I walked along the beach until I reached the second boardwalk over the dunes and I went there to sit a moment and watch.

I don't know if it was glorious - but it was grand.

You know, those happen everyday and seldom with my notice.

It is inspiration in waiting for anyone that wants to access it - God performs this miracle everyday. . .day in and day out. They even have sunrises in Georgia, only where I live we have daylight quite awhile before one can actually see the sun. On some occasions - especially on crisp and bright winter mornings I can catch the sun brimming over the trees as I ride in to work.

I guess for me - vacations are the only time I really take the time to enjoy these events, and frankly I will even then choose to roll over and go back to sleep given the opportunity.

But every single day, God is there . . .keeping things going - without my help ... without my concern.

The song says "Morning by morning, new mercies I see . . . great is Thy faithfulness. . . ."

I am amazed at His kind faithfulness.

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For in You do I trust;
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
For I lift up my soul to You.
Psalm 143:8 NKJV

No comments: