Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lull

Today I succumbed to urge to roll over and go back to sleep after waking around 5:30 this morning.

It is lunch time and we have yet to breach the beach today.

Actually, it is very hot and while I know there is a cool breeze and refreshing water at the shore... I also know that in order to get there I have to comply with all those safety regulations regarding proper protection from those nasty UV rays. Once I am saturated with all that sticky sunscreen (which results in my having to walk with limbs akimbo), then I have to figure out how best to proportion all the beach paraphernalia under each arm in order to transport it to the beach.

It's easier when you are a kid - you just take off. Well, actually kids can't do that anymore, they too have to be appropriately smeared with a liberal portion of 30-weight sunscreen ... even as I post, my son is bewailing that process.

So vacation has hit it's little lull stage. That's what happens when you take vacations the way we do and don't really plan any activities.

So let me record some items about this vacation so far:

While on the beach, one might hear the call of distant seagulls, here at our condo (a short walk from the beach), we are constantly regaled with the call of doves.

It is constant.

In Georgia, we have Mourning Doves and their call is distinctive, these are different. The produce a continual cadence of coos in a short-long-short pattern. Then there is one that provides a absolutely antagonizing sound. It sounds a little like Elmo with a chicken bone caught in his throat.

Last night we finally took the bikes off the rack and rode around a little but we were chased back in by an impending thunderstorm.

After the threat of lightning had subsided, we went on a Crab Walk. That was nice, for a few moments it seemed that we had the beach all to ourselves but soon more flashlights appeared. We weren't just overflowed with crabs but did see a goodly portion.

Since we do not have cable at home, we tend to take in a good bit of television during vacations, and it only takes a day or so for us to have our fill. And day-time television is awful! It seems that every other commercial is about people medication for people suffering from depression.

I think a better cure would be to turn off the television.

Okay, that was insensitive.

Oh yeah, R. took a fall yesterday. But I will try and talk more about that later - except to say that I think her hip is still intact.

Today we have invested in a boogey board - we have been watching kids skim along the crashing waves for the past several days. So we decided to give it a try.

If our attempt at boogey-boarding provides anything worth talking about I will let you know.
And probably if it doesn't.

No comments: