Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Contrast

As long as I can remember, I have loved cold and gray days.

I think I hit upon one reason for that on recent cool and blustery fall morning: I had to go to work a little early that morning so it was still very dark when I left, but I could easily see the winds playing havoc with the limbs of the trees. I drove over to my Mother-in-law and Father-in-law's home to pick up a precious package.

It is a not-so-well kept secret that on two days of every week I stop by on my way to work, to pick up a breakfast "snack". On Tuesdays the fare is a seared English muffin with an egg and cheese inside. Sometimes during the holidays and on days when the folks are feeling particularly liberal with their prosperity, my muffin will also be graced with a slice of ham.

On Thursdays, it's a grilled cheese.

I tell you it gets me through my week. On numerous occasions I have found my attitude suddenly spinning into a positive direction when I remembered it was either Tuesday or Thursday.

Anyway, on that dark and early morning I found the inside of their home to be a wonderful contrast to the harsh elements outside. Everything there said: "warm & cozy"... the kitchen was bright and warm and busy feet were springing back and forth. The smells of coffee and breakfast lingered in the air tantalizing my senses... I think the radio was on, playing a local AM station. Everyone was fresh and smiling.

I realized that day, that it's not so much that I love cold, gray days; as much as I love the contrast provided by shelter.

I love cold weather. I get so excited with our 1.34 annual snowfalls of measurable precipitation in this part of the country. But what I really like about snowy days -or cold, wet days for that matter - is that I can enjoy them from a vantage point of warmth and safety.

A crackling fire in the fireplace and a warm cup of hot chocolate - that's the perfect contrast for a mean day outside.

We need contrast in order to appreciate things.

Ecclesiastes 11:7-8a says "Light is sweet, and it pleases the eyes to see the sun. However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all. But let him remember the days of darkness, for they will be many. . . "

A glorious sunrise is so much more inspiring when it follows a dark and stormy night...

Home-cooking can best be appreciated only after one has had to eat out for a lengthy period of time...

Rest is so precious when one has been deprived of it for some time....

"Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning" - that's the marvel of contrast.

In the recent election, the Republicans lost - in great part- because they offered no real contrast.
One of the indictments against Christians today as that there is no real difference... the maladies that plague the world are prevalent among the churched as well.

God called us to be "salt and light" ... to provide contrast by the flavor we bring and the enlightenment we reflect. In so doing we explain the kingdom of heaven with our lives.

I have begun reading "Of Plymouth Plantation", William Bradford's account of the Puritans.

This little band was cast about in Europe, trying to find a place in which they could just live without the constant badgering of the people around. After persecution arose heavily in England they purposed to move to the Netherlands. There they arrived in a land with strange customs, the people spoke an odd language. The Puritans had little or no money and very little prospect of finding work since the trades were different from that of their home.

After about a dozen years there they had left quite an impression on the locals. Bradford says one magistrate commented on what few complaints he had received about these people during their stay.

Like Daniel who displayed an "excellent spirit" - these godly people explained the kingdom of heaven by providing a stark contrast with their lifestyles.

On their journey over to the New World, these poor people were often taunted and tormented by the hard seamen. But they won many over with their diligent kindness.

I am grateful for their timeless example of Christ-like character.

If you are like me, and you find that sometimes you are clumsy and backward about sharing the gospel - maybe it's more important to keep in mind that we can explain a great deal about Christ and His effect on the world simply by living day to day for Him.

This season, may we bring warmth to every cold room, flavor to every empty place and bright light to the gray days.

In short, may we display the contrast of the kingdom.

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.
The "NIV" and "New International Version" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by International Bible Society. Use of either trademark requires the permission of International Bible Society.

No comments: