Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The DC Ride - The Adventure Continues


I think it was the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge that finally got me back across the Potomac and into Georgetown - about two miles beyond my goal.
If you have been following my account of my DC bicycle ride, you will remember that I reached DC from my hotel in Maryland, but couldn't find access across the Potomac, the Mt. Vernon Trail I was traveling kept leading me beyond my goal.
Georgetown was a little busy and not as bike-friendly ... I ended up in some alleys and along some narrow streets but soon was back near the river's edge on a sidewalk that appeared to be taking me toward the National Mall.

I finally arrived at my destination, it had taken me almost two and one-half hours.
My goal was to spend time at the Washington Monument, Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, the World War II Memorial - maybe Arlington - and then to wind up at the Lincoln Memorial.
My convoluted travels had dumped me out at the wrong end of the National Mall and so I had to start with the Lincoln Memorial.
Earlier that morning, I had tried to take note of the times when I faced a steep upward grade - knowing that that would be coasting territory on the way back; now I noticed that all the monuments seemed to be situated on hills and there were steps - multitudes of steps!
The Lincoln Memorial was crowded and hot. Though there was some noise - it was relatively quiet and respectful.
I first read the text to Lincoln's second inaugural speech.
I was moved.
It read almost like a sermon.
He made such a strong and compelling case for the argument that the War Between the States and all it's heartbreak and bloodshed - could very well be God's exacting judgment for slavery.
As I just scanned it again before this post, I feel that movement again within me as my soul responds to the Truth.
Senator Jeff Smith, in Frank Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington said Lincoln was just sitting there like he was waiting for someone to come along. . . How wonderful it would be for someone to "come along" and pick up the legacy of this common man.
I was disappointed and offended by a video playing in one of the rooms of the Memorial - now I only saw a portion of it and perhaps I am judging it without examining all the evidence- if so I will gladly stand corrected. The video was apparently based on the concept of standing up and speaking out for freedom. With the possible exception of some icons of the Civil Rights Movement, I saw instead people speaking out and standing up for excess. The "Equal Rights Amendment", "Keep Abortion Legal" and "Gay rights" were depicted as legitimate movements for true liberty and life. Supposedly on equal footing with the emancipation of slaves.
I saw no depiction of those who truly stand against the tide and speak up for the rights of the unborn - who cannot speak for themselves.
I saw a huge disparity between the few moments portrayed on the screen - and all that Lincoln stood for. The "rights" demanded by those on the video were at best a matter of convenience - acceptance ... or financial ease; President Lincoln spoke out for a people who could not speak out for themselves. He stood up for a people who were unable to demand anything. They were a people who were suffering and dying under the lash.
My solemn mood continued as I walked slowly past the countless names on the black stone wall...representing those taken from us in the Vietnam War. It was sobering. I found the name of a cousin of mine that I suppose I never met. He was killed in 1967.
I found a street vendor and paid and exorbitant price for a hot dog and bag of chips but after my strenuous journey - it was very satisfying.
I sat at the base of the Albert Einstein statue in the shade. I was soon joined by a squirrel, I guess they are so accustomed to people that they aren't afraid. I share a chip and I believe he would have taken it from my hand had I not been afraid of catching rabies.

No comments: