Friday, May 15, 2009

Splash

I've been kicking around this idea of "stepping out of the boat" for some time now (see previous post: "Beckon Me"). Today as I visited it again in my thoughts, I began to ask myself (and the Lord) "what does 'stepping out of the boat' look like for me in my life right now?".

I am referring, of course to the story of Simon Peter who was in a small boat with two of his piers (that was pun), during a storm. Jesus chose that time to walk on water and He beckoned Peter to come to Him. Peter took the step and actually walked on water.

In my previous post, I had pictured the other two disciples that were left in the boat as frantically flailing around trying to bail water in order to adjust to their situation - to make the boat livable. They were content - it seemed - with survival; Pete was discontent, he got out of the boat and stepped into an adventure of faith with Jesus.

Today, as I thought about this, I realized that Peter came back to the boat after his encounter with Jesus.

That seems highly significant to me.

Just moments before, he had stepped out of that boat and into the pages of history . . . now he was right back where he started.

Only now, something was different.

Now Jesus was with him.

I have been thinking that - for me - "stepping out of the boat" may mean some monumental change: a revolution of sorts - and it might. But it could also mean going to where Jesus is, so that when He is ready, He can accompany me back to my circumstances.

Does that make sense?

For some time now I have been discontent. That discontentment may be leading me to some major changes in my thinking, in my lifestyle, in my service. . . in my walk.

On the other hand, it may just lead me right back to the same-ole'-same-ole' only with a changed perspective and some Company.

One other thing I noted: Peter did not become a water-walker.

He did not build his remaining life around that one event - spectacular though it was.

According to my recollection, the next time Pete found himself in a boat was after the Resurrection of Jesus. He and the fishing buddies had taken an early morning excursion in pursuit of fish. They looked up and saw Someone on the shore - John (whose eye-sight was probably better given his age), told Pete - "it's the Lord".

With that Peter stepped out of the boat - again.

But this time he took an exhilarating plunge into that cold lake.

He seemed nonplussed.

It was as if he had no expectation that he would be able to walk to Jesus on the surface of the water again. He didn't seem the least bit embarrassed that he had lost the ability to walk on water.

I think Peter wasn't focused on the "glory-days" and that grand event in his past. Instead I think he was focused on what he learned from that event. . . keep your eyes on Him.

The cold waves didn't bother him - He had to get to Jesus.

The water - walking event occurred when Jesus knew that Peter needed it, but it was meant for that season - that one stormy night on the lake. The lesson that Peter gleaned from the encounter was meant to stay with him forever . . . and I think it did.

So what does getting out of the boat look like for me?

I still don't know.

But I do know that when and where I do take that step . . . the stepping out won't be nearly as important as the One to Whom I am going. And the things He teaches me through that event will effect everything that follows.

What will stepping out of the boat look like for you?

No comments: