Sunday, July 13, 2008

God and Flash Drives

I have been frustrated, saddened and then encouraged by some unrelated events this week that remind me of sovereign God's tender care for us and also make me thankful for my country.

Firstly, I have been AWOL from my postings for the better part of a week, but I was not away from the computer. I have embraced my technological ingorance, but up until recently I have never used one of those flash drives. My pictures are slowing down my computer and so this week I purchased my second flash drive (I "corrupted" the first within a few moments) in order to try and save some of them off the hard drive.

It was going swimmingly - I even commented so to R. - I was transferring files left and right and removed about a year and one-half of pictures. Then, after I filled up the flash drive, I checked to be sure I could view my pictures. (Lesson # 1- always check your progress early on in the process) the folders were saved but no pictures. I transferred the folders back to my computer which could no longer recognize the pictures. It seemed that all those pictures had just disappeared.

The next evening or so were spent trying to find a solution and finally by visiting some forums I learned that I could download a program to recover my pictures and I got most of them back.

It is really neat that information is exchanged so easily that you can find out about practically anything over the internet. It is an amazing phenomenon!
I learned some valuable lessons and hopefully will be able to preclude or quickly solve similar problems in the future.

By the way - I prayed about this. Prayed about it frantically, because it was important to me not to lose those memories. So the bottom line is - God came through.

Let me tell you about another unrelated situation which reminded me of God's willingness to get involved. I work in an office with about 12 other people and this week it seemed tragedy stalked our group. There were three incidents of serious medical problems related to families of our group. I won't go into details but three separate folks were hospitalized in very serious condition (my interpretation)- One brand new mom, another brand new baby and another mature man.

All three situations were troubling. We prayed - no we didn't all join hands and pray though that might have been appropriate. But you heard people encouraging each other to pray and you also heard folks commenting about truly praying. By Thursday, all three situations had turned around and the sun had broken through the clouds!

When calamity seems to strike, it is good when it drives us back to our knees for prayer.

Also, I am once again amazed at the health care system we have in these United States! Despite costs and what ever hyper-crises we hear about on the nightly news, it is an amazing system that - more often than not -works.

No comments: