Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Low for Rocky Top

The University of Tennessee has announced that it will award Al Gore, reputed inventor of the internet, "Carbon-Credit" Kingpin, electoral whiner and all round "visionary" guy - an honorary doctoral degree!!

That's right, according to Knoxnews.com, they plan to award the degree during the Spring Commencement.

My first thought was that I hope my children will be able to attend the college or university of their choice someday. I doubt seriously if it will be ole "Rocky Top".

I was toggling between seething and incredulous as I read the article, but then I came to the comments section and found redemption among my like-minded peers.

I had to share one comment in particular... the insults it contains are harsh and probably old, but they just made me laugh out loud:

American1957 writes:
The University of Tennessee is perfectly justified in granting Vice President Gore an Honorary Doctor of Laws and Humane Letters in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. After all, the University of Tennessee (do not confuse it with UT - the University of Texas in Austin) has the lowest SAT average for incoming freshmen of any state university in the country. When the library burned down back in the 60's, they were able to save 5 books, and only three of them had been colored in...You compliment a Volunteer female with 'nice tooth,' and Volunteer orange can be worn to the game on Saturday, huntin' on Sunday, and to work picking up trash on the side of the road the rest of the week. Tennessee as a state and Al Gore as a leader - the perfect combination of two losers. Go chew some 'backy you hob-nailed, inbred ding dongs.


If there are any UT alumni reading this post, I apologize and remember, "American1957" said it, not me - I just laughed.

Oh and I am also sorry that the value of your hard-earned degree just went down like some bloated-carbon-coated-lead (paint-filled) balloon.

No comments: