Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Stark Difference

One of the foundational principles I have tried to  adhere to with this blog is to avoid posting things I would not want my children to read.  I want it to be safe.

For that reason, I will not be very explicit in the details surrounding all the recent news of Democrat Representative, Anthony Wiener.  Suffice it to say, he admitted to privately sending a number of inappropriate photos to women other than his wife over social media; and further admitted lying about when he accidentally posted one of those photos publicly.

Surprisingly, after his tearful admission yesterday Weiner announced that he would not be stepping down.

My point for even bringing this up is for those that constantly bemoan our political system and say that there is "not a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats".

There is.

And this case perfectly illustrates it.

How many Republicans can you think of that have been embroiled in scandal and finally admitted that allegations against them were true ... are still in office?

I can't think of any.

Republicans - while being at times fallible like the rest of us - tend to do the honorable thing.  They follow the concepts laid out by the founders and let go of power.

Democrats it seems - just can't let go.

When it comes down to it.  They will admit their failures and deceit, but they won't step down.

It is not because they are public servants; it is because - I'm afraid - they love the power.

No comments: