Monday, February 22, 2010

Setting Things Right


It is odd that R. and I watched "The Godfather" over the weekend and then this morning, my Bible reading brought me to the second chapter of the book of 1 Kings.

Do you remember those tense last few moments of the 1972 hit movie? The mantle was passing to Michael Corleone, and he was setting things right by ordering the almost simultaneous assassination of all his families enemies.

Solomon - the wisest man... ever ... was something like Michael when he came to his throne.

It almost seemed as if David had reserved vengeance throughout his lifetime, but on his deathbed turned the job over to his son.

And chapter two is a bloody chapter. But as I read that chapter today and thought on it later, I realized that David was not just fulfilling some vendetta against those that had "crossed" him. He was trying to protect his son and to establish his throne by getting rid of these enemies that would surely destroy Solomon if given the chance.

The action also yielded a new respect for Solomon from his people ... maybe even fear. I once attended a management seminar in which the speaker said that the best way to earn the respect of those around you - is to fire someone.

As crude as it may sound, I think there is some truth to that.

As I reflected a little on what I know of Solomon's subsequent reign - it was not characterized by war, like David's kingdom. It was, for the most part, peaceful - a very rich season.

As parents we can help ease the path for our children in much the same way David did.

No, I don't mean to bump off the little bully that waits to steal little Junior's milk money - but we can foresee some of the obstacles in their path and help them to clear them away.


No comments: