Saturday, March 12, 2011

Old Man Still Got It?

Even though the title is fitting, this post is not about me.

Tanner is our chocolate Lab, he's been with us for about six years now and was probably much older than the 3 year old we guessed he was when we got him.

R. and I have speculated as to whether this might be his last winter with us.
He gets around - but it is a struggle and he can't stand up for very long at a time.
On cool mornings his teeth chatter. He has more grey hair than I do.

I don't know what kind of watch dog he would be, he treats most visitors - FedEx guys, Jehovah's Witnesses and Census takers - all with the same disregard.

When we got Tanner, I had a talk with him.  I told him two things:
  1. I cupped his face in my hands and stared him in the eye and said "I am the Alpha-Dog!"
  2. I told him that I wanted him to watch out for my kids.
He was pretty receptive to the Alpha-dog thing, but I haven't been real certain about the "watching over my kids" part.

As I have mentioned, last year my father-in-law purchased some land near us that we call "Pop's Farm".  Like bees in a new hive, he went right to work - restoring a large garden spot and bringing in a pretty impressive crop last year; he also had a dry pond dug out in hopes of restoring that.

To this point the pond has been a very large and smooth hole in the ground - with only an occasional puddle at the bottom.

Due to some impressive rains last week and the clearing of some channels feeding the would be pond, it is suddenly full.

Ab and AA have already developed an appreciation for skipping rocks and that appreciation has grown over the last few days.

Tanner may not be a bodyguard, but he seldom lets the kids make a trek to "The Farm" without him.

Despite all the commotion his tentative steps and laborious breathing stirred up on the walk over - Tanner seemed to have his youth somewhat revived when he got to the pond.



One of the reasons we were given Tanner, was because his previous owner couldn't use him - he had become gun shy; but I suspect that he was reliving some of his glory days, go after birds in his imagination.

He circled to the other side of the pond, watching our flat stones skipping and splashing across its surface. 

Then it happened.

I heard a splash . . .



...there he was
...paddling across.

My first thoughts were of worry.  The pond is pretty deep, and it was getting pretty cold ... I admit that if he had started going down  - ... well, I wasn't sure what I would do.  I think I prayed a quick little, silent panic-prayer.

Ab and AA coaxed to an earlier exit to the side.


And he made it.

The old man had proven that - in a pinch, he still had the goods.  He emerged to a celebratory welcome to which he responded by a crowd-dispensing shake (could have used him in Madison last week).


As the sun settled behind the horizon and the temperatures cooled even more, we headed back home.  Tanner made the walk back with a little less struggle, a little more tail-wagging and a sense of confidence regained.

It spoke to me as I approach my first half-century mark in life.  I think sometimes there is great value to be gained from an old man just plunging in.

No comments: